Thursday, June 28, 2012
The Things They Carried is a novel written by Tim O'Brien about his experiences from the Vietnam War. The book is available for check-out from Lewis Library, and is located in the stacks on the bottom floor, call number PS 3565 .B75 T48 1990. Professor Joe Cafaro of the LaGrange College History Department recently did a presentation about this book for the new students at this summer's freshmen orientations. Click through the Prezi below for an introduction to the author and this wonderful book, then check out this book today!
Monday, June 25, 2012
Lewis Library has books about baseball in the GV 862 to GV 880 range in both the reference collection and stacks.
Reference books (on the main level):
- The Cultural Encyclopedia of Baseball (REF GV 862.3 L54 2005)
- The Baseball Encyclopedia (REF GV 877 .B27 1990)
- Baseball: The Biographical Encyclopedia (REF GV 865 .A1 B374 2000)
- Encyclopedia of Major League Baseball Clubs (REF GV 875 .A1 E52 2006)
Books in the Stacks on the lower level include:
- Adelson, Bruce. Brushing Back Jim Crow: The Integration of Minor-League Baseball in the American South. (GV 875 .A115 A34 1999)
- Angell, Roger. The Summer Game. (GV867 .A55 2004)
- Baseball Americana: Treasures from the Library of Congress. (GV 863 .A1 B3758 2009)
- Robinson, Jackie. I Never Had It Made. (GV 865 .R6 A29 1972)
- Wong, Steven. Smithsonian Baseball. (GV 875.2 .W666 2005)
You can either browse the shelves, or do a “Subject” search in the online catalog for “Baseball.” This will also retrieve e-books on baseball.
DVDs: Our baseball DVDs include:
- Baseball (Ken Burns’s documentary) (DVD GV863 .A100 B37 2004, DVD GV863 .A100 B38 2010)
- Yankeeography (DVD GV875 .N400 Y27 2004)
- Eight Men Out (DVD PN1997 .E472 2001)
- A League of Their Own (DVD PN1997 .L421 1997)
Websites: There are many web sites on baseball. My two favorite are:
- Baseball-Reference.Com - an incredible compilation of statistics and information on major- (and minor- ) league teams and players. They even have the La Grange Troupers.
- Retrosheet - a terrific source for finding box scores. This one shows Chipper Jones’s first major league home run in 1995.
- If you want the box score for Babe Ruth’s first home run (May 6, 1915), that too is available in the New York Times Archive.
* This blog post was authored by Dr. Arthur Robinson.